Tuesday, June 24, 2014

What is Write?

I have been dissecting the question "what makes a good writing programme" for the past month.  I have overloaded myself with lots of different viewpoints, ideas, resources and readings.



And to be honest, I'm not sure if I am any closer to finding out what the "Write" answer is.

Teacher autonomy has allowed me to try a range of things in my classroom which is helping me shape my philosophy about writing.  I am really thankful that I have the opportunity for creative license on this.

As I develop my ideas there are a few key things coming through:

  • Words are fun.  Words should be played with.
  • Reading and writing are intertwined.
  • Creativity can take many forms.
  • Writing can take many forms.
  • An audience is essential.
  • Ideas hold more power than surface features.
  • Quality writing should be modelled on quality reading material.
  • Oral language is the foundation for written language.
And most importantly, writing should not be a chore! 

No comments:

Post a Comment