Monday, February 9, 2015

Encouraging dissonance in students

School, or should I say the culture of school, encourages agreement. The teacher is always right! Right? What we learn is always right? Yes? If everyone else thinks that then it must be right? Right? You getting where I'm going here? Yes?

Dissonance, or the ability to think differently and challenge ones thoughts is a skill that needs to be taught because it doesn't come naturally - especially in a traditional school context.

Dissonance can be uncomfortable at first. It is rather risky and requires a high level of thinking. Usually it means going against the status quo and potentially being wrong. But is there such a thing as a wrong answer? (I say no!)

I really like to get my students involved with current affairs. Students do have an opinion. I have also found that these 7 and 8 year olds also have a good sense of social justice.

This morning's headline screamed for a class discussion:



It had gotten a few of us teachers riled up this morning on Twitter so I thought I might present the two opposing sides to my class and get them to debate them. I split them into "Team Pamela" and "Team John". Pamela being the linguist who is anti picture books and John being the reviewer who is pro picture books.

The first bit of dissonance I got was from a Year 3 student who was really miffed to be in Team Pamela "because I don't believe it!" I explained to him that the idea of the exercise was to see another point of view. He joined the group but I could clearly see he didn't agree with me! And he doesn't have to agree with me (that's the cool part!)

The groups met separately to discuss their given view point then they came back together to debate the idea. The debate itself wasn't overly strong. A lot of students chose not to be involved in a speaking role. I now know who isn't afraid to speak their mind! Interestedly enough the one student I have retained from last year had a prominent role. Last year she was rather shy. I'm guessing that because she had done this before with me that she had gained some confidence to voice her opinion.

To end the session I ask students to form a human continuum to see what their opinions are at the end. Pamela had a few fans. Quite outspoken ones actually. Maybe they admired her bolshy claims?

General consensus: Picture books are good for you!

Level of dissonance: beginning stages...


No comments:

Post a Comment