Wednesday, February 25, 2015

You can bring a horse to water but you can't make it drink


For me Twitter is an amazing resource. I have been using it for several years now to connect with other teachers, connect with new ideas, collect resources and get my thoughts out there.  Sometimes I feel a bit sorry for people who are not on Twitter. They are missing out on so much. I've tried to introduce a colleague before but without much luck.

Tonight I was listening to an EduAllstars podcast with Pernille Ripp as the educator being interviewed.  Pernille responded to a question by the host about using social media like twitter. She said

"social media is a journey you have to take on your own"

Yes! Yes! Yes! We have these conversations as connected educators about getting more people connected but actually they kind of have to do it on their own.  They have to have the drive to make things happen for themselves.

My use of Twitter is the reason why I am the e-learning leader at my school. Nobody told me I had to go on twitter or that I had to find my own professional learning network.  I believe my life is richer for it. And certainly my connectedness with what is happening in education at the moment is on the pulse. I want to inspire others to be interested in e-learning and to make connections but I certainly can't force them.

I also feel this way about Educamps.  Can you actually make somebody attend non-compulsory professional development? Will they really want to be there? Will they be able to contribute if they don't want to be there in the first place?

Connectedness is about being open. Open to new ideas and new connections.  And to tell the truth I am ok about that circle of people I am connected to being small. Although when I say small I am technically connected to hundreds of educators. I am also ok about nobody from my school going to the educamp. Of course I'd love them to come and they would be so much richer for it but it has to come from their own drive.

You can lead a horse to the educamp information but you can't make them attend.

No comments:

Post a Comment